Tuesday, January 11, 2005

MacWorld 2005: One More Thing...

I'm blogging this from the keynote at MacWorld expo though I can't get on the network so it will be posted later.

I've been to a lot of MacWorld keynotes and this one is right up there with the best of them, though it was off to a rocky start: the first three or four things that Steve demo'ed didn't go well.

I was glad to see the new Book support in iPhoto 5. The books are the coolest part of iPhoto and they are dramatically improved in 5. I wish there were more sizes but that will come. And the HD support in iMovie is just the right thing. I built the team that introduced iMovie 1.0 in 1999, or was it 2000? (that was five years ago!) and we were amazed at the time by the quality difference between Hi-8 and the new digital DV format. HD is even more dramatic an improvement over DV than DV was over Hi-8. It's unbelievable. "You have to see it to believe it."

The best part of the keynote had to be the president of Sony, who talked too long and kept interrupting Steve's attempts to finish the HD video segment. I can't wait to get my hands on one of the new Sony X-1 (?) HD cameras. Awesome.

I can't decide if I'm excited about the Mac Mini. I guess it's a G4 tower in a smaller box. BYODKM (bring your own display, keyboard, and mouse). If it ran Linux it would be great local workgroup server :) Friends asked me if I believed the rumo and I said "no way" because I couldn't imagine Apple introducing a computer that might be hooked up to a cheap VGA monitor. How wrong I was.

No comments: