Tuesday, April 26, 2005

RSS feeds: the perfect marketing channel?

I'm sitting in a presentation by Bill Flitter, the Chief Marketing Officer of Pheedo , a company who specializes in serving advertising through RSS feeds.


I know the guys at SimpleFeed who are turning RSS into a targeted marketing channel.


Theoretically this is a pure channel because users "opt in" -- nobody has to read an RSS feed. It remains to be seen exactly how the ads are spliced into the feed stream such that I can opt in or out based on keywords, criteria, etc.


I think people wouldn't mind seeing advertising as corollary effects of reading content if the ads truly were targeted to them. "I'm kind of looking for a car, so if you serve me SUV ads in the $20,000-$30,000 range, that would be cool with me."

No comments: