Monday, September 19, 2005

AppleMatters vs. iMovie

If you read this posting on the "AppleMatters" web site:



http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/540/


You would think that iMovie was just a modest adaptation of existing movie editing software. As the original author of iMovie, I wrote a comment on that site, which required me to register.


I received some spam as a result of registering, but my comment was never posted. This bothers me still, as it seems not to be such an open forum if comments are silently not posted. So I responded to the spam, which went as email to Hadely Stern, who never responded, and my comment is still not posted. I lost my original comment, but here's the text of my email to Hadley. At least I can comment over here on my blog and maybe somebody will read it :)




To: hadley@applematters.com

From: Glenn Reid <glenn@fiveacross.com>

Subject: Re: Win a Mac mini forum contest (really another issue)

Cc:


Hi Hadley,


Your site requested that I registered in order to post a comment, and you have no problem sending me spam as a result of my registration, yet my comment never appeared on this article:


http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/540/


As the author of iMovie at Apple, I was trying to take issue with Chris Seibold's contentions that iMove was somehow derived from Final Cut Pro. It wasn't. It was written ground-up (by me). iMovie 1.0 was a dramatic sea change and ushered in the era of Digital Media. I and a very small team (3 total) wrote iMovie in just 9 months in 1998, and it first shipped on the iMac DV. It was DV-only, brought a copy/paste metaphor to the previously hobbyist-only marketplace that was video editing, and the iMac DV showed for the first time why you might want a PC with a large hard drive (though it was only a 6GB drive!). To say that this was not innovation is a bit short-sighted. To say this:


"Not only was the original iMovie limited it was also a program based on an application conceived outside of Apple. The Cupertino giant did not invent iMovie they merely purchased an existing program and polished to a point where the masses would fall in love. Far from being the exception to the rule this is the norm."


Is just plain wrong.


iMovie was the first ground-up application in a very long time at Apple (10 years maybe?). Big companies do usually just buy and repurpose apps. Apple, starting with iMovie, is writing some new ones. I also was the principle author of iPhoto, also written from the ground up (iTunes, it is worth noting, was an acquisition: it was originally called SoundJam). iMovie, iPhoto, Keynote, and Pages were all written from scratch and are trully innovative. Even Adobe and Microsoft don't write apps from scratch any more, as far as I can tell, with the possible exception of InDesign which took probably over 5 years.


Cheers,
Glenn Reid
Founder/CEO
Five Across, Inc.
http://www.fiveacross.com/company/team.shtml



>To the many hundreds of you who have registered over the past couple of days

>welcome to Apple Matters!

>

>To our older members hello! In case you haven't heard yet Apple Matters is

>having a competition running from now until October 31st. Each time you post

>to our new forums you get an entry to win a Mac mini setup worth over $700. 

>

>Details can be found here:

>http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/win_a_mac_mini_and_a

>_ministack/

>

>Why are we doing this? Well, because we want your help building the best

>forums on the Apple web.

>

>So keep posting!

>http://www.applematters.com/index.php/forums/

>

>Hadley Stern

>Publisher, Editor-in-Chief

>AppleMatters

>http://www.applematters.com

>hadley@applematters.com



No comments: